May 07, 2005

Religious Left by Renee in Ohio

The origins of my Religious Left blog:
I was getting ready to post a link to my Religious Left blog in the open thread, just to let people know that I'm going to continue to post updates and links to various articles about the "No Dems Allowed" Baptist church in North Carolina. Last night, for example, I added excerpts from Rev. Barry Lynn of Americans United for the Separation of Church and State and Rev. Dr. C. Welton Gaddy of the Interfaith Alliance. But I decided to rework this into a diary, because I still hear people wonder aloud, "where is the religious left?" It's everywhere, actually--my blog is just one of many places you can start looking.

Recently, I was asked to write up a blurb about my blog for the newsletter of my church. The actual "about me" page on my blog was way too wordy to serve that purpose, so it actually took me the greater part of an evening to come up with something reasonably consise. Below the fold is what I shared about my Religious Left blog and why I started it nearly two years ago.


Over the past few years, as I have learned my way around the Internet, I have really come to appreciate the networking potential it offers. As the mother of young children (at one point a homeschooler) I found it to be a vital resource for finding information and making connections. I even found my way to Saint Stephen's via the Internet, after searching The Center for Progressive Christianity web site for a member church in my area.

When I discovered the Center for Progressive Christianity, I was, of course, thrilled, but my second reaction was "Why did it take me so long to find out about this? I also lamented the fact that the face of Christianity looked a lot like George W. Bush or Jerry Falwell to many people. Even though it felt really out of character for me to start talking about religion--unbidden, whether people wanted to hear it or not--I felt I was being called to do so. I created a weblog called The Religious Left as my way of answering that call with Mary's "Yes" instead of Jonah's "Run away!!!"

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/5/7/94432/16178

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home