May 02, 2005

AllYourBrand.org

Because, this weekend, the thought of a bunch of cynical, imagination-deficient marketeers sitting around conference tables planning how they could take a very funny meme and use it to make me covet speakers and sneakers and other shit I don't need made me want to puke, that's why.

So, I figured, why not pre-hijack the meme and serve it up to them so that they know:

* Yes, we saw this coming.

* No, it's not clever or funny.

* No, we, as members of your target demographic, are not now positively pre-disposed toward your product.


Obviously, a lot of the inspiration for this comes originally from Adbusters. But I'm not some militant anti-corporate warrior. I'm just your average media-saturated, bozo-filtering consumer and this is my personal innoculation against whatever nice, easy-to-swallow, blue-lit, "down with the kids", ironic, straight-to-camera with a wink and a "Hey, you got me" smirk, meta-post-modern, faux-honesty / faux-deceit, triple dummy-fake, shake 'n bake media sheen that these people are going to cloaks themselves in and come at me with. I want to be tired, tired, tired of this by the time they get their act together.


Some of the ads here could actually work. Some are stupid and about as subtle as a brick to the forehead. Others are plain-old vicious and largely futile kicks in the nads of companies I don't like, consumer society, or whatever I happen to fix my attention on - it's strangely addictive and, hey, there's got to be some fun in doing this! But there aren't that many here yet, and there could be so many. Maybe someone else is doing this already. But I haven't seen it.


The one weird thing is that the phrase itself seems to have this weird talismanic power - with the AYBABTU hammer in your hand, everything looks like a nail. It's a lens that will make you see things in a different and often disturbing way. I started out doing plausible, clever-clever ads, and ended up somewhere else altogether. You'll know when you try it.


Seriously... pick it up. Feel the power in it. Now throw it at something.


What do you see?


Vincent O' Keeffe

26th February, 2001


http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home